Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Spring on Cape Cod?

A couple days ago as I was walking around the property I saw two very round robins. I always considered robins a harbinger of spring, so they brought a smile to my face as I watched them. While there's virtually no snow on the ground, today is sunny and in the low 20's and spring seems far away.

That evening as I was reading the Globe I saw an article stating that birders are reporting mindboggling numbers of robins this winter (up to 80,000 in Barnstable). Seems that the numbers of robins are actually increasing in the region. Because robins are hardy and robust, they are adaptable and very adept at finding food. There also appear to be plenty of fruit and berries around for the robins. We at the Tidewater have many perennial gardens and we usually wait until spring to trim them so that birds can eat the seeds.

According to the Mass Audubon society, many robins have been around for most of the winter. These robins have probably come from further north and are eating the last remaining winter fruit and once it's gone, will move south. Despite reading this information, seeing the little fat robins brightened my day and reminded me that spring is not far away. In the meantime, I'm enjoying cozy evenings in front of the fireplace when I am at home. Stay warm and keep an eye out for the robins.

Voula

No comments:

Post a Comment