Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas thoughts

As Christmas nears, I've run out of Cape Cod Christmas activities (or maybe burned out!) I've always loved Christmas,especially the decorating and cooking. I've always tried to make my home warm and cozy during Christmas with the trees, greens and holly, Santas, nutcrackers and the warm glow of lights at night. With our new house, I was again able to decorate after 3 years of not having our own home and it looks beautiful. My favorite time is in the evening, sitting in the family room with the fireplace and only the lights from the tree. If only life could be so simple!

My least favorite part is shopping and the whole present thing. We've shaved off our list so that we basically buy for only our girls, so that simplifies things. My girls started a tradition of making us gifts for Christmas when they were young and they still get together before Christmas and come up with unique handmade gifts. On Christmas morning, they are so excited for us to see them, that they make us open our gifts first. I look forward to this every year. They have become very talented and creative in their gifts and surprise us with something different every year. All those years of doing arts and crafts with them when they were young paid off!

Being Greek, cooking and pushing food on people is big in our family. The traditional desserts I make are baklava, kourabethes, koulouria, and yalaktobouriko (my favorite). This is certainly not the time to diet.

I hope you all enjoy your own traditions and take the time to enjoy friends and family.

Voula

No comments:

Post a Comment