Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Henry's Gone

I've put off writing about Henry's departure, thinking that he would return as he did last time, but I've finally accepted that he's probably not returning this time. The last time anyone saw him was on Halloween morning. I had gone to Williamstown the day before and returned on Halloween ev ening. I checked his temporary home (box) and he wasn't there. The next morning I set out bird seed and water as usual and only the sparrows came. I searched the property and called Henry, but no Henry. During the past week he had become a bit more irritable and combatative. With the colder weather arriving on the Cape, his nature was probably telling him to fly south. He was probably cold for everytime someone came in the front door, he would walk in behind them, much to the dismay of Lisa, my front office manager. Hopefully, he is warm and comfortable in warmer climates and with luck he might return next year.

I never thought I would miss him so. I still put seed and water out every morning for the sparrows that joined him every morning. Maybe one morning in the spring Henry will join his buddies at the feeding station.

Voula

No comments:

Post a Comment